Car accidents happen. Whether an individual is the best or worst driver, there is the probability that he or she will have a traffic collision. The important part is not to dwell on that fact. It is what a person does after the traffic accident that is vital.
- First remain calm. Panicking in after a car collision is one of the worst things that can happen.
- Stay at the scene of the accident. Unless the driver has sustained injuries, he or she should remain at the scene. In fact, a driver who flees the scene can face legal trouble. If there are any serious injuries, call 911. Do not attempt to provide first aid to anyone unless qualified to do so. The individual could be injured further.
- Call the local police department. In many jurisdictions, a driver involved in an accident is required by law to notify the police about a traffic accident.
- Exchange information. Get the name, address, phone number, driver’s license and license plate number of the other driver. Obtain personal information of any witnesses who saw the accident.
- Document the traffic collision. Hopefully, a driver has an emergency kit in his or her vehicle that includes a disposable camera, pen and paper. Make sure to take pictures of all the vehicles involved and the scene.
- File a traffic collision report with the local police. A law enforcement officer may or may not respond to a traffic accident. That does not mean that a driver shouldn’t file a report. It will help sped up the claims process.
- Visit the physician. Anyone involved in a traffic accident should visit the doctor. Some injuries may be present shortly after the accident. Other injuries slowly develop after the accident. If the driver or passenger has to sue later for the injuries suffered during the accident, he or she will need proof. Therefore, in addition to receive aid for injuries an individual will receive documentation that the accident caused his or her injuries.
- File an insurance claim. The insurance claim may cover your damage to your vehicle and/ or injuries. A driver should know what is covered in his or her policy like towing coverage and vehicle rental. Unfortunately, many drivers find out have they’ve been involved in an accident what their insurance policy covers.
- Seek legal help. The type of legal help a driver needs depends on the circumstance. If the driver was arrested for causing the accident such as being under the influence, he or she will need a criminal lawyer. However, he or she sustained injuries that the other driver won’t pay for then personal injury lawyer is needed.